<VV> 175 vs 185

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 1 18:32:17 EDT 2006

I'm guessing Bob's numbers are for a 75% or a 80% profile tire.
Of course none of the endless rev/mile nitpicking makes all that much
difference.
At 70 mph, the difference in speedometer reading between a 843 revs/mi tire
and a 863 revs/mi tire is about 1.7 mph.  It's unlikely that a 40 year old
speedometer is accurate enough for that to matter.

Not to mention that there are two different speedometer calibrations 833 and
853 revs/mile, depending on what tires were original on the car.

Bryan Blackwell's site seems to be down at the moment, assuming this is only
a temporary disaster, there's a good discussion on there.
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/

Also, there's quite a bit of difference between different manufacturer's
revs/mile for the same size tire.

The tire situation is getting grim.  If you want much footprint, and you
don't want to run huge rims with rubberbands wrapped around them, you're
pretty much screwed these days.  I had to give up on 13's and go to 14's - I
should have skipped to 15's.  I used to run 195/70-13s on the front and
205/70-13s on the rear (whitewalls).  Forget that these days.  I'm currently
running 195/65-14's.  I stuck some 215/70-14's on the back - ran quiet on
the highway, but was a real dog off the line.

As for general performance, I'd suggest as much rubber on the ground as you
can get.

Roger