<VV> 175 vs 185

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Sat Sep 2 18:41:08 EDT 2006

On Sep 1, 2006, at 6:32 PM, Roger Gault wrote:

> Bryan Blackwell's site seems to be down at the moment, assuming this
> is only
> a temporary disaster, there's a good discussion on there.
> http://autoxer.skiblack.com/

Yep, a temporary disaster is a good description, the remnants of
Ernesto took out the power for a bit.

> Also, there's quite a bit of difference between different
> manufacturer's
> revs/mile for the same size tire.
>
> The tire situation is getting grim.  If you want much footprint, and
> you
> don't want to run huge rims with rubberbands wrapped around them,
> you're
> pretty much screwed these days.  I had to give up on 13's and go to
> 14's - I
> should have skipped to 15's.  I used to run 195/70-13s on the front and
> 205/70-13s on the rear (whitewalls).  Forget that these days.  I'm
> currently
> running 195/65-14's.  I stuck some 215/70-14's on the back - ran quiet
> on
> the highway, but was a real dog off the line.

While aesthetics are a matter of taste, a 205/60-15 isn't too much of a
"rubber band" for most folks and is a pretty good match in overall
diameter and footprint for the Corvair.  A 205/55-15 will be ok and is
available is some fairly good tire models, but is a trifle short.

--Bryan