<VV> Franklin (sort of Vair)

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Sat Sep 2 20:25:39 EDT 2006

Possibly what he terms as "successful" is in terms of being an economic
success (at least until the depression hit.) In that, Franklin managed
to outlive many of the early manufacturers from the turn of the century.
After all, 32 years is success under any terms, and particularly in
those days. Most early car makers barely survived a decade. It was only
when the greedy bankers got control of the company and drove it into the
ground did Franklin succumb. And parts of it survive to this day (think
aircraft engines.) By contrast, whether the Corvair was an "economic"
success is debatable, given that there are rumors that GM didn't make
any money over the long haul with the car.

Franklin was not really a "luxury" car. Classed more along the lines of
a Buick (considered a "doctor's car"). Conservative, reliable, and
upscale, but not really luxury. That was left to the likes of Pierce
Arrow, Cadillac, Lincoln, and up.

My favorite Franklins are the '28 model 12B, and up. Despite the fallout
with the chief designer, once they got away from the "barrel" and
"Renault" hood designs and went with a more conventional "radiator"
grille, they really got beautiful.

-Mark