<VV> Gas tank access

Clark Hartzel chartzel at comcast.net
Sun Sep 3 09:35:52 EDT 2006

Some people can install a gas tank with the filler hose attached.  I never
could so I put the bare tank in first then connect the hoses.  As disgusting
as this sounds to the Corvair purists, I get out my sabre saw or
reciprocating saw and cut out the inner fender panel that covers the hose
clamp area.  Now you have easy access to the clamps that hold the hoses on
and you can get both hands in there.  If you are concerned about the hole,
just cut a piece of flat sheet metal and screw it in place over the hole.
Later if you need to service the tank you just unscrew the access panel and
you can get at things easy.  Since most of my Corvairs are drivers, not show
cars, I just leave the hole open.  The tire and wheel cover it anyway and
you never see it.
Clark "doctor brutewrench" Hartzel