<VV> low vacuum

Brent Covey brentcovey at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 3 10:33:25 EDT 2006

Vacuum readings will be lowish if you live at high altitude-

Usually the jumpy vacuum guage needle at idle indicates the idle mixtures
are off, usually too-weak. Try setting the mixtures THREE turns out,
balancing the carbs for correct idle speed, and then re-setting mixtures by
'lean roll'- this means turning the screw in slowly on one side until the
exhaust note starts to sound a little more 'hollow' and the engine speed
starts to *just* slow down a trifle, then back out 1/4 turn richer from that
point- then do the same on the opposing side carb. You can chase it back and
forth a little to get it perfect, and on a Powerglide this can be done for
extra smoothness by adjusting it idling in Drive range with the wheels
chocked and parking brake set.

Many people start setting idle mixtures from 1 and a half turns out which is
too lean on some cars these days, so start a little further out and work
your way in. If you have very lean (like factory 49 jets) calibrations
they'll lose vacuum also.

Good luck,
Brent Covey
Vancouver BC