<VV> Gutting the passenger compartment

norman.witte at comcast.net norman.witte at comcast.net
Sun Sep 3 20:22:25 EDT 2006

My suggestions below.  Others may disagree.

> 1) How far do I need to go in cleaning the metal? Does it need to
> be sanded, goo gone'd, look like you could eat off it?

This assumes that you don't have any rust through problems, but just surface rust.  Scrape it until any loose material is gone.  DO NOT REMOVE SEAM SEALER unless you have to get at a rusty seam below.  (This is the caulk stuff where panels join.) Clean the remainder first by vacuuming, then with Econoclean or a similar paint prep.  Then paint the whole inside with POR 15, carefully following the instructions on the can.

> 2) What are your thoughts on the best soundproofing materials? Any
> secrets? I know its an old car, but I hope I don't need a megaphone to
> talk to passengers.

This is what I did for soundproofing:

http://www.wittelaw.com/personal/turbo/26.htm

There is a manufacturer's link on the page and on the Turbo Odyssey Resource page.  Also, you can see a couple of pages further on that I used this stuff on the doors, too.

I thought the results were acceptable.  Also, there is a good article in this month's Corsa Communique that you should read on this topic.  Another thing that others have done is to take some standard fiberglass house insulation and stash it under the rear seat.  Cheap solution.

> 3) What is appropriate punishment for an 11 year old who shoves a
> baby garter snake in his mother's face while she is upside down in a
> vert? Oh, I think I got that one handled. I'll let him out of the
> trunk before supper.

Excellent idea.  Then you can serve garter snake for supper.  Just tell him it's a REAALLY BIG green bean.

Norm