<VV> valve adjusting

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Sun Sep 3 20:25:53 EDT 2006

OK, why is it every time I adjust the valves (cold/static) they end up clattering?  I adjust to zero lash, judged by the pushrod not going in and out at all (but still can rotate) and then 1/2 a turn in.  I get clatter, at least until it warms up a bit.  On my car I figured it was just a noisy lifter but I replaced the orings on the Rampy I just got and it wasn't clattering before I got to it but now it does.  Should I be going to 3/4 of a turn?  Is zero lash when the pushrod won't rotate or is it in and out?  I don't really want to adjust hot/running but will if I have to.

mike