<VV> valve adjusting

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Mon Sep 4 17:57:23 EDT 2006

In a message dated 9/4/2006 9:23:07 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
slowboat at mindspring.com writes:

I now  realize what Bob Helt, Shaun McGarvey and others were
saying. What I  neglected to say in my description was that when the pushrod
cannot be  turned with GENTLE rotational finger pressure, that is 0 lash.
I had no  idea that some members of this forum had such strong fingers that,
when  oily, they could turn a pushrod against a bottomed-out (collapsed)
lifter.  I'll have to be careful if  ever have to shake hands with those
folks.  <VBG>

Andy,
Sorry, but you are missing the point entirely. No one is trying to rotate
the pushrod after the plunger bottoms. But using your method one can easily
rotate the pushrod and keep tightening the nut until the plunger botoms and AT
that point the pushrod tightens. Then continue to turn the NUT 1/2 or  3/4ths
turn.
Even if this method works for you, it probably isn't a good idea to suggest
it for others less experienced than yourself as they can easily get it  wrong.
Regards,
Bob Helt