<VV> valve adjusting

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Mon Sep 4 19:24:08 EDT 2006

> That's exactly what most of us are saying.....twisting /rotating is too
> vague....many think that until the lifter STOPS the PR  from rotating..is the "0
> lash" point...
>
> If you use the paper / gauge /or finger on TOP of the rocker....EVERYONE then
> knows EXACTLY where Zero is...
>
> You need to remember many here are not experienced in adjust Hydraulics...
>
> Same with Points.....many grew up with Electronics.....so it can be a mystery
> until a method is explained that takes into account the "level of
> understanding".
>
> Matt

The lifters quieted down today after I let the engine run for 5 to 10 minutes.  Quite a bit of initial clatter then a very rapid quieting down to a low clatter and then a slower quieting down to essentially no clatter.

I brought the rockers close (I had them completely off to do the o-rings) by pulling out on the valve end of the rocker to keep the pushrod end seated on the pushrod.  I then felt for when the in/out motion of the pushrod stopped.  Feeling that was difficult.   I still don't have confidence in my ability to reliably tell when I've reached zero lash.  Since the valves have quieted down, I may be better at it than I thought.  I sure wish it was more of a science than an art.

Points don't vex me, I seem to do alright with those.  I like having those anachronisms in my car.  I'm not sure why.....

mike