<VV> oil pressure drop

Shaun shaun_mcgarvey at shaw.ca
Tue Sep 5 01:27:18 EDT 2006

> How about the oil pickup screen / bonnet falling off the tube? Pull the
pan!

> Matt
So I pulled the pan, which was a little bashed up, and found no problems
with the pickup tube. So I straightened the pan bottom and around all the
holes which were badly bent from overtightening. I then offered up the oil
pan to the block (a British term) and noticed that the pan actually pushed
the dipstick up as it raised. Hmmm. Go up top, push the dipstick to hear the
hollow thunk against the oil pan. That didn't sound familiar. Check other
Corvairs in driveway for oil pan thunk...no thunks. Pull another dipstick to
check against the thunker. Same dipstick, but wait...  the little disc at
the top of the dipstick that stops it from going all the way down is loose
on the stick. The two little pinched "ears" on the stick that locate the cap
are broken or worn off.
AHA! What looked like 1qt low was more like 2qts low. Mystery solved.
Now I just have to deal with the two chewed up spark plug threads and
replace the blower bearing.<G>

yea, Vairily ... Shaun