<VV> Need help diagnosing 140 carb problem

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Tue Sep 5 18:31:35 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Hubbell" <whubbell at cox.net>
> Here are the symptoms: Car starts up fine when cold and runs great until
> warmed up, then starts sputtering at idle and will die if left in gear at
> idle.  Starts up again very rough, but as soon as the engine speeds up it
> smooths out again, only to roughen up again when it returns to idle.
> What next?
> Bill Hubbell
****
Check that choke plate(s) is really in "off" position when warm.  sometimes
the obvious problem really is the problem.

re: idle circuits full of crud::  see if you can determine if you ( car) is
dying from too rich idle, or too lean idle.  turn out idle needle 1 turn, if
it gets worse, you were already idling too rich... if it gets better, you
were too lean at idle; if nothing changes, your idle system is probably
gunked up.

Always suspect the 2 rubber hoses in the fuel system, the one under the
tank, and the one coming into the engine compartment.  Replace with rubber
hose that says " fuel line" on it ... modern fuels might melt other types
and gunk up idle circuits; also add a new inline filter to the one that
comes into the engine compartment, I like to use the "visible" ones although
I do worry about them falling apart and starting a fire(g).

just some thoughts., ken campbell, iowuh vair person