<VV> Need help diagnosing 140 carb problem

Bill Hubbell whubbell at cox.net
Mon Sep 4 23:37:43 EDT 2006

Geoff's 1965 140-PG Evening Orchid Convertible is back on the road again
after a 1 year stint in my garage getting body work and a fresh paint job.
We have a problem with one or more carburetors loading up after the car
warms up and I need some help diagnosing what is causing it. (I am fighting
a cold and my brain is too fuzzed up to think straight)

Here are the symptoms: Car starts up fine when cold and runs great until
warmed up, then starts sputtering at idle and will die if left in gear at
idle.  Starts up again very rough, but as soon as the engine speeds up it
smooths out again, only to roughen up again when it returns to idle.

My initial thought was that we had a stuck float needle, but I have looked
down the throat of all carbs (after warm-up) and they all look dry - I don't
see moisture in any of the 4 carbs.

What next?

Bill Hubbell