<VV> FC ballistic co-efficient

Brent Covey brentcovey at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 5 19:08:58 EDT 2006

Hey Ken,

> Just for fun, it would be interesting if you used a " G-meter" of some
kind
> and did a coast-down routine to find how much power it takes to run a FC
> shaped vair at ... say ..... 70 to 50 mph or so .... I am thinking maybe
67
> horses for a static 60 mph, as maybe 30 horses for a late model with those
> sweeping, sexy curves. (g).  FC Same as a barn door in a 60 mph wind, I
> propose .....

You're in luck, I can give you a pretty close estimate from the GMC Truck
data book-

A Corvair passenger car has about 18 square feet frontal area, and the FC's
have about 34 square feet frontal area.

Rolling resistance is calculated for 3000 for a car and 3500 for the FC-

50/70 MPH rolling resistance demand horsepower
Car- 4.2hp/6.7hp
FC- 4.9hp/7.8hp

50/70 MPH air resistance demand horsepower
Car-10.7/29.6
FC- 20.4/55.8

So, 70 MPH in a FC for example is 55.8+7.8= 63.6HP total HP required. This
seems about right, as a 80HP FC doesnt go much faster than this with 65 net
HP. It might be off by ~10% or so as the Corvair van body is a trifle more
slippery perhaps than a standard vehicle of similar frontal area.

Hope thats helpful,
Brent Covey
Vancouver BC