<VV> Corvair Powered Canadair Dynatrac Military Vehicle for Sale

chevrobilia at juno.com chevrobilia at juno.com
Wed Sep 6 14:58:27 EDT 2006

I've been doing research on the Canadair Dynatrac CL-91 Military Vehicle
for an eventual article in the Communique. In the process, I've come
across two that are for sale: one in Bullhead City, Nevada that I posted
here awhile back; and now another one that's north of San Diego. The one
in Nevada is the first design type built in Montreal, complete but
needing restoration. Its owner is looking to get $10K for it. The other,
newly discovered Dynatrac (second design, built in Calgary) has an
incomplete second half but comes with an NOS set of tracks along with a
host of parts from the second half and is a bargain at $2500...a really
fun project for someone who wants what would be the most unusual Corvair
at any show! I'd love to buy it myself, but have way too many projects
now. You can reach the owner, John Zentmyer at john at intelligents.com
John is an interesting guy who also has too many projects, including a GM
Diesel powered Budd rail car now located in Australia (!). He also has
authored three of reference manuals on Dodge military and civilian
all-wheel-drive trucks.

His Dynatrac has been sitting for several years since he last took it to
a military vehicle meet. It was running when he parked it. It sold on
eBay but the buyer never paid for it, and John wants to get it sold. The
back section was cut up by the previous owner and is incomplete, but the
front section ran fine. A NOS set of tracks is included, which is an
impossible item to find. I can send pictures of to anyone seriously
interested in buying it. His package also will include copies of several
military manuals and reports on the vehicle, along with some Canadair
literature.

So what the heck is a Dynatrac? Basically it's a two section tracklayer
with a powered universal joint driving the second half. The Corvair
engine is located at the front of the first half, facing forward ahead of
the transfer case.

We have one of the Corvair engines in the CPF Museum in Ypsilanti,
Michigan on loan from GM Powertrain. GM's making a new display sign for
it, and here are the specs and text I wrote for it. Please don't reprint
this info without giving credit to me and the Corvair Preservation
Foundation, OK? It will give you an idea of what a Dynatrac is all about:

Canadair CL-91 Dynatrac Specifications
Engine & Powertrain
Corvair 164 Cubic Inch Engine
70hp @ 3600rpm
130 ft/lbs torque
80 Octane Fuel (Minimum)
24 Volt Military Type Ignition
12 Volt Starting System
Two-Speed Chevrolet Designed Transfer Case and Corvair Truck 4-Speed
Transmission (First 12 Units)
Dana Two-Speed Dana Transfer Case & 4-Speed Transmission (All later
units)
Clutch Brake Steering when Front Half of Dynatrac operated by itself.
Final Drive Ratio: 3.89
Dynatrac Specifications
US Army Designation: XM-571 Articulated Carrier
Dimensions: 20' long (5' longer than a Corvair car); 5'3" wide and 5'
tall with windshield raised.
Curb Weight: 4870 pounds
GVW: 7270 pounds
Load Capacity: 2000 pounds (3000 pounds in overload operation)
Top Speed: 32mph (land); 2.5mph (water)
Range: 300 miles
Fuel Capacity: 56 Gallons
Water Propulsion: Track motion
Tracks: 18" Cast Aluminum with rubber pads
Grade Ability: 60% slope
Tractive Effort: 8900 pounds
Maximum Angle Between Front & Rear Sections: Full 30 degrees in any
plane.
Hydraulic Ram Steering when Front & Rear Sections operated together.
Seating Capacity: 10 persons
Suspension: Steel Torsion Bar
Hull and Frame Construction: Aluminum
Body Construction: Aluminum and Balsa Sandwich
Canadair Dynatrac Corvair Engine
This engine was one of 66 Corvair engines built by Chevrolet's Tonawanda,
New York engine plant in 1968-69. It was designed by Chevrolet
exclusively for use in the Canadair CL-91 Dynatrac military vehicle,
which was dubbed XM-571 by the US Army.
Canadair Limited, a division of General Dynamics, was Canada's largest
military aircraft contractor and located in Montreal. Quebec.
Their Dynatrac CL-91 Articulated carrier project began in 1961. In
September of that year, Chevrolet accepted design and development
responsibility for adapting the Corvair air cooled engine for use in the
Dynatrac. Chevrolet was also chosen to provide a two-speed transfer case
and Corvair truck four-speed transmission for the Dynatrac.
Unusual features designed just for the Dynatrac Corvair engine included:
a unique cast adapter for the 24 Volt Military Generator and top-mounted
oil filter; specific exhaust manifolds which exited the engine in the
opposite direction, through the cooling air damper doors; unique cooling
shrouds and seals; a deep sump cast aluminum oil pan and a fan belt
warning device. The Dynatrac was the only non-GM, Corvair-powered
military vehicle that received such engineering attention from Chevrolet.