<VV> engine knock

Dennis Dorogi dfamily at cecomet.net
Thu Sep 7 08:27:15 EDT 2006

I don't know any thing about the history of the car.  The gentleman that bought it saw the corvairs  at the convention and came across the car in Meadville, Pa.  He attempted to drive it home (about 100 miles)   It was a hot day and he thought it was overheating  because it was running bad so he stopped about half way home and had it trailered the rest of the way. He said the temperature never got over 400 degrees but thought that was too hot.  It evidently was making some noise at the time (but not like now).  He took it to a local mechanic who said it needed rod bearings and he replaced them.  On start up it began to make the heavy knocking sound.  For some reason they also put 50 weight oil in it.
       I explained to him that 400 degrees is not hot for a corvair.  The engine needs sealing strips, heater hoses etc. a typical engine worked on by someone that doesn't understand corvairs.  I am just trying to help out.  I assumed it was something done by the mechanic, and it could be wrong size bearing inserts, loose cap etc.  or  maybe the rotated rod.  The engine should obviously be gone through and torn down, but that is something a new corvair owner doesn't like to hear.  The knock seems consistant at all speeds and loads and you can really feel it while driving. Doesn't pulling the plug wire on a cylinder change the sound if it is a rod knock?  It doesn't change.  The knock does not go away when the clutch is depressed.
     I am afraid a new corvair owner is going to be very discouraged.    Dennis Dorogi