<VV> engine knock

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Thu Sep 7 00:27:57 EDT 2006

In a message dated 9/6/2006 7:26:19 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
dfamily at cecomet.net writes:

It has  an engine knock unlike anything I have ever heard.  It is a very
pulsating knock and you can feel it when you touch the engine or while driving
it.  Pulled plug wires and there was no difference in the sound.  It  recently
had the rod bearings replaced and almost sounds like a bent  rod.  What would
happen if a rod was rotated or the numbers not up as  they should be.  Would
this result in a knock?  It is the only thing  I can think of.  It doesn't
sound like a main bearing but I guess it  could be.
The engine seems to run and idle OK but it  also has no oil pressure showing
on the guage but I think that is a wiring,  sender, or guage problem as he
drove it over 40 miles to get here and it is  still going.  This is not much to
go on but I think it has something to  do with the rod bearings being worked
on.  They were replaced with  standard inserts but  the originals didn't look
that bad to me.   Any ideas?   Dennis Dorogi

Hi Dennis,
Not much to go on. Did the knock just start after the bearings were  changed?
Any possibility that the wrong size bearings were installed? Does the  knock
sound at all speeds and loads?
I wouldn't worry about a rod being installed upside down. This is not a
problem. Yes, the pin offset might cause some noise, but not like you  state.
Can you find out just when the knock started relative to any work done on
the car? Why were the bearings changed anyhow? That may tell you  something.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but it's hard to tell what's wrong from  here.
Regards,
Bob Helt