<VV> Homeowner Association Rules (No Corvair)

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Fri Sep 8 09:25:20 EDT 2006

I lived in an older (late 50's) neighborhood of nice home near
Barrington, IL... there were some pretty stringent HOA rules, but they
had been in place since the beginning and were only really enforced on
building rules (one horrible rule: no detached garages) and visible junk..

But one home in the community was a real garbage dump... I mean
industrial building stuff piled around, huge piles of old appliances,
equipment, etc.  External garage, etc.

I asked my neighbor (an original owner) why no one enforced the rules on
this one guy.  She laughed and said that his means of support was filing
lawsuits against companies, organizations, etc... he filed a couple
hundred a year and enough folks settled out of court to support his
lifestyle. The HOA had once tried to force him to clean up his property
and he sued them... and the HOA caved because they couldn't afford to
fight him.

While we were there, the town annexed us (for more taxes). I was
extremely amused to discover that on the annexation maps, a line was
drawn around his property... the town annexed every house in our
development except for his...

So while I have serious issues with folks like this who "game" the
system, it did keep him free of unwanted regulations and taxes...

Bill