<VV> How to clean a windshield

Phil Fairman hoscale at paonline.com
Fri Sep 8 17:54:30 EDT 2006

A recent post inquired how to clean up a salvaged windshield........I had to deal with this a few years ago when replacing my rear glass...

Here's how to go about it:

First, just wash it with a dish detergent and a sponge, then clean up what you can with lacquer thinner, try to avoid getting this on the very edges where the laminate shows.

Then, with a clean, preferably new sponge, scrub the heck out of the entire surface with Bon-Ami cleanser and water, it won't scratch, but will clean and polish very nicely. if further polishing is needed, I've had good results with the glass polishes from Griot's Garage: http://www.griotsgarage.com/index.jsp
using a clean bonnet and an orbital buffer.
Usually the Bon-Ami will remove just about everything, including years of mineral deposits.

Just as an aside, I've used the Griot's car products for some time now, no dissapointments...not cheap, but they perform as or better than advertised. Their Carnuba wax is fantastic.

Cheers,
Phil Fairman
'66 Monza 110/pg