<VV> Excessive blowby

Clark Hartzel chartzel at comcast.net
Sat Sep 9 17:18:44 EDT 2006

My latest Corvair, a 1965 Monza 4-door had excessive blowby out of the
breather tube into the air cleaner.  Looked like "Old Faithful" even at
idle.  No smoke out of the tailpipe.  I ran a compression test and found all
were very good except #3.  Pulled the cylinder head and #3 jug with engine
still in the car and found broken rings.  Piston looked good.  Cylinder
looked good.  Put new rings on piston and Magic!  No more blowby!  I've put
about 2000 miles on it including the national convention and it is running
fine with minimal blowby.  It was amazing what one cylinder could leak into
the crankcase and up the vent tube.
Clark Hartzel