<VV> Die! Dieseling Corvair, Die!

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 10 14:55:57 EDT 2006

In a message dated 9/9/2006 6:28:06 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
rusecular at yahoo.com writes:

> What causes dieseling or post ignition and how can it be tamed? -
> cooler plugs, advancing/retarding the timing, or .... ?

Since the key has been turned off, the ignition system is out of the picture, so it must be something besides timing, plugs (in the normal sense), dwell, etc.

A properly adjusted anti-dieseling idle solenoid will probably work, and so might an engine rebuild with a nice, clean combustion chamber -- but I have seen some vehicles with these two features still 'diesel' upon shutoff.

The two keys to controling it are a 1) a low idle speed, and 2) higher octane. If the first doesn't work for you, you'd better hope the second does, otherwise you're back to engaging a drive gear, turning on the A/C, headlights, heater fan, wipers -- whatever loads the engine to slow it down more.

What causes it, I don't know. Bob Helt might say that it is not enuf 'squish' in the combustion chamber, while the next guy will say it is too much compression, and Bob will come back and say "hot spots".

Godspeed,

Bill Strickland

PS: nice re-subjecting, Seth    :-)