<VV> Die! Dieseling Corvair, Die!

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Sep 10 14:15:58 EDT 2006

In a message dated 9/9/2006 6:28:06 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
rusecular at yahoo.com writes:

What  causes dieseling or post ignition and how can it be tamed? - cooler
plugs,  advancing/retarding the timing, or .... ?

My 65 - 140 HP has  two brand-new Holley 5200 carburetors. The car's idles
smoothly & is NOT  set too high (it idles @ 700 rpm), yet I am experiencing
dieseling almost all  the time when I turn off the engine.

The timing is set at 16  BTDC.

Could it be carbon deposits? a friend suggested Chevron  TECHRON!

Regards,

Tony

GM had the problems in the 70's. AS Jim B. said. Something inside the
chamber is probably causing it. What GM did was to put two closing locations on  the
throttle, one when the ignition is on (for the smooth idle), and another
(further closed) to keep air - and, therefore fuel out of the motor. Hard to do
on your system, but would solve the problem. GM used special adjustable
solenoids that popped out with the ignition on, holding the throttle open, then
retracting with the throttle off. - Seth