<VV> EM Suspension Measurements

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 10 21:25:59 EDT 2006

I've recently bought a non-running old kit car with Corvair running gear.  The front suspension appears to be from an EM, and the drivetrain and rear suspension is late.

I noticed that the car has a severe anti-Ackerman steering setup.  That is, the outer tire turns a lot more than the inner tire when the steering wheel is turned.  In comparing it with my '65, it appears the builder of the kit car mounted the steering box and idler way too far forward.  There is about 7" between the front of the cross-member and the back of the drag link (bar connecting the tie-rods together and to the pitman arm.  I don't have an early model to compare it to, so I don't know what the correct setup is.  I assume it's basically the same as my '65.

I assume this geometry problem is the reason behind the shock absorber mounted between the drag link and the base of the idler arm.

Does anybody have the dimension between the cross-member and the drag link and the relative height of the two?

Thanks,
   Roger