Fwd: <VV> Jacking and Jackstands

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Mon Sep 11 12:52:38 EDT 2006

In a message dated 9/11/2006 9:51:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
iharding at destinydata.com writes:

> If I jack my car using the jacking points, I can't put jackstands
> there.

I just put new heater hoses on one of my cars this past Saturday using
jackstands so here is my take on it--and the way I've been doing it for decades.
For the rear end I put my jack at the BEGINNING of the rear jacking point as
specified in the manuals--this means right where the pinch weld flairs out into
two pinch welds that surround the rear jacking point.  I use a piece of 2x4
that is roughly 4" inches square to protect the pince weld (it will deform under
load from the pinchweld and a groove or grooves will be formed).  I can then
get my triangular base jack stand right up against the jack so it will seat in
the designated jacking point.  I use the same method at the front end.  I
don't use any suspension points except just below the rear shocks and as close to
the lower front ball joint as possible.  I used to jack under the front
suspension cross member, but I only do that now when I want to see how rotten it is.
 You guys in rust free areas can probable still get away with it--but GM
never specified it that I've seen (or remember seeing).

The bottom line is you don't want to die under your Corvair--whatever holds
it up safely works for me--but those GM engineers knew what they were doing
when they designated the lifting points.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
'64 Greenbrier
'65 Corsa