<VV> powerglide problems

James Davis jld at wk.net
Mon Sep 11 18:07:08 EDT 2006

Ed, that the Sprague clutch (over-running clutch) on the stator.  It
is a one way clutch that when locked allows the torque convertor to
function in torque multiplication mode and when free wheeling the
torque convertor functions as a fluid coupling (no torque
multiplication.  Generally you will also find the transmission fluid
has been overheated (that burnt smell), as all the engine's power
going into heating the fluid and not into moving the car.  The
transmission still shifts from low to drive and reverse works, but
there seems to be no power below 2,400 engine rpm.
The Sprague clutch can be checked when the torque convertor is out of
the car.  Lay the torque convertor flat on the floor with the diff
side up.  Insert a differential stator shaft fully into the torque
convertor .  Holding the torque convertor rotate the stator shaft
quickly clockwise.  You should feel little resistance.  Now try
rotating the stator shaft quickly counterclockwise.  You should feel
the clutch lock and there should be a significant drag as you spin up
the stator.  Remember the stator is only 8 inches in diameter and
made of aluminum so there is not a great difference between clock
wise and counterclockwise, but there should be a discernable difference.
Jim Davis