<VV> engine noise

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 11 22:25:46 EDT 2006

Lonny,

You had the head off.  Was the valve seat intact but loose OR were there
chunks missing?  From your description, I'm picturing that it was intact.
The smiley face it put on the top of the piston is likely of no concern
(near the center of the piston) other than to smooth the edges a bit to help
prevent a future hot spot there.  But, if the seat broke into pieces - those
chunks can float through the intake to the other two cylinders on that side.
So, if that was your situation, I hope that you also inspected the other
piston tops.  If there was a lot of shrapnel, it can actually push the top
of the piston down onto the ring area and prevent the top ring from moving
(as it should) on any (or all) of the three AND will possibly also score the
cylinder walls.  Please don't ask how I know these things.

Anyway, after scaring you, I'm inclined to believe as others have motioned,
that a stud somehow got screwed into the block a tad too far during
re-assembly.  A stethoscope (AKA - chunk of garden hose) might (or not) help
give a clue as to where the sound emanates from.  Since another thread is
about movies - see "Mr. Holland's Opus" for the diagnostic technique.

Later, JR
Past, present and future posts to Virtual Vairs by this writer are for the
private use of Virtual Vair members only.  Reproduction, including
archiving, outside of the Virtual Vairs is specifically prohibited.  This
prohibition includes any portions of this writer's message which may
have been included in a response message by another VV member.