<VV> Rant on RTV

Duane, Jim (US SSA) Jim.Duane at it.BAESystems.com
Tue Sep 12 13:21:42 EDT 2006

<<<SNIP
Now: That being said... I have nothing against gaskets made of
cured RTV, valve covers etc as long as they're not over tightened so
as to crush or pinch the RTV gasket. You don't want that stuff
floating around inside an engine.
  Smitty says:

SNIP
<<<If some squeezes out it will harden right there, and when next you
pull the pan or valve cover the only way you will
 get those squeeze outs off is to tear them off.  They aren't going any
place unless you remove them.  >>>
SNIP

My personal experience:  Used RTV on a timing chain cover of my Buick
3.8L V6 a few years back.  Apparently, one of those little excess
bulbous pieces lined up nicely with the oil galley.  Oh, they can come
off.  Whenever they feel like it... There is another engine in there
right now.
No RTV for me, thanks.

Jim Duane
'66 180 Corsa CVT
(and a 1983 Pontiac G/P with a 3.8 without RTV and all lifters
working...)