<VV> Exhaust temp... (was push rod tubes)

Andy Clark slowboat at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 12 17:44:32 EDT 2006

Re the low exhaust temp; check the carb synchronization. Sounds like the
pass side carb is not pulling as hard as the driver's side. Either that or
the idle mixture screws need adjusting. It's not the valves (assuming that
you have them adjusted correctly).

BTW, when adjusting the valves with the engine running, the reason the
engine slows down and runs rough for a few seconds, is that the "1/4 turn
down" from zero lash keeps the valve open for a while until the lifter
bleeds down. It's better to set all valves at zero lash, then shut the
engine off and walk away for 10 minutes or so. The restart the engine and it
should run normally. In extreme circumstances (like a severely milled head)
keeping the valve open can result in "smiley faces" in the piston tops.
Andy Clark
1966 140/4 Monza Sedan
1966 140/4 Yenko Clone
1966 180/4 Cord 8/10 #60