<VV> may be looking for nice vert for minimal price

Ray Rodriguez reray at echoes.net
Tue Sep 12 19:11:06 EDT 2006

Greetings all,

     My father's 80th birthday is about 4 months off, and I have been thinking about possible gifts or gift ideas.  He has expressed a desire to get a convertible a few times in the past couple of years, so I am considering the possibility of trying to get him one.

     Naturally there is a catch, and in this case its the fact that my financial situation is not great.  How much money do you guys think I would have to come up with to get him a nice LM convertible?  Fortunately his tastes (much different from mine) would not require it to be a high end model.  Any engine and trans combo will do, and it doesnt have to have any fancy options.

His Ideal car would probably be a dark red late monza vert, with wire hubcaps.  He's doesn't like two speed trannys, but since the car is only for around town he could deal with the powerglide if need be.  A base model car (if they came in convertible) would be fine too, and color doesnt matter so long as it isnt white or anything he would consider a "loud" color.  He also likes the quietest possible exhaust and engine.

     The only real requirement would be that it be in nice condition (not noticeably in need of work), and mechanically reliable.

     While we are at this maybe some of you older gents could give me some non-corvair related ideas for gift alternatives,  think in terms of a very conservative, but physically active and fit eighty year old.  He listens to big band music and Rush Limbaugh etc., and has no desire whatsoever to move into the modern world.  He loves to argue, especially politics.  He wont go near a computer or a cell phone, but went skydiving with me at 78.  He's a WWII vet and loves airplanes, but unfortunately has not been able to afford to fly for about 26 years (thanks to my brother and I being born, his second family).  I know this is vague since you dont know the guy.... but maybe you will think of something I did not.

Thanks!

Ray Rodriguez
CORSA member
65 Corsa 140/4 coupe