<VV> Block top Cover Leaks

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Wed Sep 13 00:53:04 EDT 2006

Ah, Smitty--ya should have spent some time working with my cars when we
lived in the same city.

I replaced the top cover gaskets on the 140 in the Car that was previously
Win Rittall/ Ted Clark/Walter Carter/Original Owner Navy Capt. in Wmsbg. It
had a slight leak from the top cover down the block. Now I don't know if
that engine had been gone into previously, Walt denied  it at the time  but
you know Walter. He may have done it and just didn't remember.

It was driving me nuts because 1: I couldn't find it due to 2: EVERYONE's
advice negated even looking at the top cover, for the main reason Smitty
specified in his post. Damn Fan ate a rag and I had to pull the turkey
roaster to get it out.  That's when I saw the leak.

I guess I weren't too good a gasket changer/torquer cause after it leaked
worse.

Then my friend Eric suggested another set of gaskets, this time using a fine
layer of Permatex Hylomar Sealer on the gasket surfaces, a tightening
pattern different that the one I used, and all was well.

I didn't understand "why the Hylomar". But when I took that engine apart
years later, not only had the top cover area not leaked, but the gaskets
were re-useable. They are on the EUM motor as we speak--no leaks.

One of dozens of tricks I'm sure but one that worked for me.

DISCLAIMER:  In no way is this post meant to disparage or otherwise diminish
the umpteen years of Corvair experience our resident Vairologist has had
with engines. At some point in his life Smitty will have forgotten more
about Corvair Engines than I've ever learned.

 As with the bad engine block, this top cover leak (and I've never had
another that did) goes into the general category of:

"You just got Lucky"...Larry Claypool.

Hank

Once crowned by Win Rittal as "Mr Torquewrench"-- If it could be torqued--I
could snap it off!!!