modern designs, was: <VV> I want an electric sports car - No Vair but rear "engined"

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Thu Sep 14 09:14:50 EDT 2006

Something I've come to consider as really getting old is the trend that
was started (probably) by the Taurus. That is, headlights and taillights
that are smoothed into the basic body panels. Sure, it was interesting
when it first started. But now every car is that way, and it's simply
become boring.

Example: If you took some body filler and filled in the seams between
the taillights and headlights and the adjacent body panels, then shot a
coat of paint over it all, you'd lose the headlights and taillights
altogether! In other words, there's no sculpting of the taillights or
headlight surrounds, like there was back in the '50's and '60's. That
and the total lack of any chrome trim to even delineate the lights, such
as on a red car, the taillights disappear! But name almost any car of
the '50's and '60's, such as the '62 Mercury, or my favorite, the '63
Impala, and you get the idea.

Though I think that trend is about to end. Look at the taillights of the
Ford 500. While the chrome is a bit too wide, at least they have some
CHROME on them! And the latest Dodge Durango and Chevy pickups have
begun to put some form to the taillights. This new trend I think was
started by the custom tuner taillights that replace the bland stock
units with (usually) round taillighs surrounded by a sculpted chrome
bezel. Sure, most of these used clear covers, but at least they brought
sculpture and chrome to the lights.

So maybe we'll get back to when cars were really interesting, styling
wise. What's old is new again!

-Mark