<VV> Jiffy Lube scams (no Corvair)

Clark Hartzel chartzel at comcast.net
Thu Sep 14 21:45:23 EDT 2006

Not only do these lube shops scam you on repairs, they cheat on the basic
lube job also.
I had to replace a bad wheel bearing on my 1998 Chevy pickup and after
removing the front wheel, I discovered the upper ball joint had never been
lubed.  It was covered with dirt and rust (no grease).  Pissed off, I took
my last few receipts from the lube shop and talked to the manager who
sheepishly admitted the top ball joint is hard to see and get at for the guy
in the pit so he just skips it!  I made them lube it from the top side and
then never went back to that shop.  I discovered a local repair shop, that I
had used for repairs, does a quality lube job for only a couple of bucks
more and they actually lubed the door hinges, hood hinges and checked the
tire pressure.  The quicky lube shops hardly ever check tire pressure as
they don't sell tires.  They always take out the air cleaner and show you
how filthy it is and it must be replaced at twice the price of any store.  I
usually go home, blow out some dust with air hose, and put it back in!
Clark Hartzel