<VV> Repair Shops (no Corvair) Bottom line, DO IT YOURSELF !

Charles Lee at Proper Pro Per chaz at ProperProPer.com
Fri Sep 15 00:22:48 EDT 2006

I had a 1960 Buick Flxible ambulance (like in Ghostbusters, but a Buick)
with a 440 ci V8.

The rear plugs were VERY hard to reach so I figure next tune-up, I'll let a
"pro" do it.  Worth it just to get those two plugs !

When I a had a leaking master cylinder, I also figured I'd get the tune-up,
so I brought it to the local shop. (I was on temporary assignment upstate
NY, and had more money than time, soooo...)

I picked it up after and noticed that he only charged me for 6 plugs, but
fu]or the full tune-up.

I bring it to his attention, and he says, "Yeah, those 2 back ones were too
hard to get at, so we didn't replace them" !!!

That was so stupid that I didn't notice that he also had simply topped off
my brake fluid instead of testing the brakes, repairing them, or whatever
shops are s'posed to do, and I didn't realize that until I was halfway home,
on about a 20 degree hill when the car stalled (the timing was off, I found
later.)

The brake cylinder quickly depleted itself of fluid as I tried to keep her
from barreling backwards down the hill, at the bottom of which was a nearly
shear drop off.

I finally hooked the car a hard left in reverse up some guy's driveway, and
hooked her "uphill" on his lawn, and then "rocked" that boat to a safe stop.
I ruined the guy's lawn in the process.

I walked back to the shop on pure adrenalin, and told that mechanic "I'll
see you in court !!!!"

The mechanic calmly replied, "Suppose you will.  I'm the judge."

Small towns are so nice !

I learned shortly about getting him recused, etc, etc, but his cousin is
probably the other judge and his mother, the circuit court judge.

Bottom line, DO IT YOURSELF.  You can screw it up yourself for FREE ! (and
maybe learn something in the process !)