<VV> Oil pan baffle

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Fri Sep 15 11:01:28 EDT 2006

Hi all,

Finally getting some traction on a new 140 for the '65 Corsa.  One
thing I'd like to do is some better oil baffling.  Now, on a V8 all the
oil is in the pan, so it's pretty easy, just run a horizontal plate
across the pan rails and you're done.  On a Corvair, even with a deep
pan you'd end up with most of the oil above the baffle.  It'll help,
but not as much.

Jim Schardt suggests baffling right along the lifter bores but doesn't
really explain how.  I've added little pieces to baffle just those
openings but I wasn't really happy with the results.  For this time
around I'd like to try something different.  I have a deep pan
(Offenhauser).  What I was thinking was cut a piece of .040" or so
aluminum the same shape as the pan, then bend it straight up up just
inside the crank case (the long direction), then a horizontal bend to
cover the bottom of the lifter bores.  This seems to be the best
possible solution to keeping the oil in the pan.

Anybody ever tried such a thing?  If you've ever heard a stock Corvair
after an autocross run, you'll know the problem I'm trying to solve.
Thanks for any info.
Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
   Corvairs: '61 Lakewood, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa