<VV> siezed head to block stud update

pete pwilhelm2 at cogeco.ca
Fri Sep 15 11:28:43 EDT 2006

Well after nearly a week of frustration,the damaged stud is still in the block. I have tried applying heat,to the extent that I need insulated gloves on to hold the vice grips or pipe wrench. I have removed the heat shield and cylinder so as to get a grip close to the base of the stud. I fabricated a metal heat shield to cover what is exposed of the piston after I retracted it as far as it would go.Also have used allot of penetrating oil. Tried using a stud puller,but the threaded end is thicker than the stud shaft. What if I were to cut the stud shorter thereby eliminating the thick section so as to allow a stud puller socket slide down to get close to the base? Any advice? Does it mean pulling the engine? Drilling?
    Pete