<VV> siezed head to block stud update

Barry Gershenfeld mailist at san.rr.com
Sun Sep 17 16:10:04 EDT 2006

At 11:28 AM 9/15/06 -0400, you wrote:
>Well after nearly a week of frustration,the damaged stud is still in the
>block.

Assuming the stud is toast, you could put a right angle bend in it.  Then
you have a crank handle to twist with.  I did this on a block I wanted to
save.  It would take up less space without studs.  The Sears stud gripper
didn't grip very well.  I got most of them out by "honest" means, but a few
got the "bend and crank" treatment.  Of course, it's easier to do when you
don't have all the other studs present.

I saved the studs I didn't wreck (they take up a lot less room after
removal!)  Sometime later I got a call from a guy in the next town.  They
have a railroad car with 'vair engine in it.  They needed a stud.  Probably
thought they'd never find another one.  So I gave 'em one.  (Two, actually,
just in case).

Barry