<VV> Mfr shoots self in foot. (long - please do not quote whole thang - minimal corvair)

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Fri Sep 15 17:36:40 EDT 2006

For about a year now I have been troubleshooting an intermittent ABS fault
in the '88. Before going further, this was a German TEVES Mk II unit that
was standard in Buick Reatta and Pontiac Bonneville SSEs & STEs, and
optional in most large GM cars from 1987 to 1990. Quite a few sold.

Meanwhile I was getting intermittent fault codes 32, 36, and 76 all of
which indicated the passenger side front wheel sensor. Checked GM service
manuals (four from different cars and years, Ford Thunderbird listing (
http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/abs-system.html ) and a
similar Autozone listing. All same though frustrating (four different
codes, 32, 36, 46, 56, and 76 all said just "Right Front Wheel Sensor".
Even verified that their right was my right (passenger side)).

Long story short at various times I replaced the wheel sensor (twice), the
ABS computer (in trunk), the ABS relays, the wheel bearing (felt some
play), verified the wiring harness, and finally built a replacement wiring
harness run from 16 gauge shielded twisted pair. Had also instrumented
several times but looked fine.

Keep in mind that the problem never surfaced while parked, only when
driving and reading the codes required removing a cover, jabbering two
connectors (different pins 87-88 and 89-90), and counting flashes.

Finally in desperation I just pulled the right front wheel sensor connector
and turned the ignition on. Checking codes I found a 33. 33!?!?!?!. *Every*
piece of documentation said that was the right *rear* sensor. Hokay, I
cleared the codes and dug the *left* (drivers) side connector out from the
harness and pulled it. Code 36. OY!

Hokay, maybe the computer is confused so swapped computers (no memcals, all
different). Codes came up the same.

Careful cleaning and checking of the driver's side wheel sensor cable
revealed a cut in the insulation and a break in the ground shield.
Replacement cured the problem and has been fine since.

Have sent an e-mail to Continental-Teves but no reply (over a week).
Checking found no TSB or Advisory or correction to the troubleshooting
chart. Seems incredible that no one has noticed in 18 years. OTOH I have
heard of a lot of TEVES ABSs being tossed out in favor of a conventional
non-ABS system. Is one case where a mechanic just replacing all four
sensors would win.

Interesting, but stupid.

Padgett