<VV> New throttle shaft or...

Secular rusecular at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 15 21:23:08 EDT 2006

  Hi:

  I have a very unique car (don't we all) --  It's a 1960 Monza with 140 heads (4 carbs). All the carbs are 1963 model primaries.

  The Otto 90 degree rotation is installed however one of the carbs (which I rebuilt recently) has a bad/worn throttle shaft. I say that because even with the help of a spring installed, it does not COMPLETELY return to idle. (I've tried various strength springs). The linkage is good/tight and has tie rod end bearings.

  Here is my question:

  I'm fairly familiar with Rochester Carbs, however I have never installed a new throttle shaft. In your experience does the body of the carb (where the throttle shaft goes in) gets worn also, or is it the shaft itself which wears out?

  I guess I'm debating between buying a new throttle shaft and/or starting with a fresh carb.

  Regards,

  Tony