<VV> Scams - You can fool all of the people some of the time ...

Charles Lee at Proper Pro Per chaz at ProperProPer.com
Fri Sep 15 22:23:49 EDT 2006

Maybe I was wrong to think so, but when I brought my Audi (with the steel
stud in aluminum housing), I thought I didn't know how to tap the stud, to
break it loose a little, before attempting to unscrew it.

So, I brought it to a mechanic who should know these things, have worked on
may similar cars, and be familiar with the procedure for removing
multi-metal parts professionally.

When I bring a car in for a tune-up because some of the parts are hard to
reach, I figure I'm paying for the mechanic to reach those parts and fix
them.

I don't expect him to break the part, being as unfamiliar as I was, and then
charge me for breaking it and repairing what he broke.

I don't want to pay for 3/4 of a tune-up because the mechanic thought the
other 2 plugs were too hard to reach so he didn't do them.

No, he didn't build the car with plugs that can't be reached, nor did he
design the steel stud in the aluminum casting.

But as a professional, he should just plain know how to do these things,
without messing them up, or not completing the job. (At least my mechanic
TOLD me that he didn't replace the "hard to reach" plugs, but only after I
corrected his invoice that showed only 6 plugs !

The $100 he charged was for 20 minutes work that I could easily have done
myself.  I paid the $100 for the "hard to reach" plugs, which, with his lift
and other tools I did not have, would have been easy for him to do.

The 80-20 rule is working hard here.

Mechanics do 20% of the effort and satisfy 80% of the market (those who
don't, won't or can't think).

As a NY Telephone supervisor, Joe Taylor (or you there Joe ?) once said to
me :

"You can fool all of the people some of the time, and
     you can fool some of the people all of the time,
              ... and that's enough."

'Nuff said ?