<VV> RE: funny carbs

grant young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 17 08:49:54 EDT 2006

It is very likely that your 140 carbs are some the infamous aftermarket
rebuilds that were screwed up by the likes of Holley, Carter, Rochester,
etc. If they had a paper rebuild sticker on them, then you can be sure of
it. In the interest of profit over quality (that was in the days before Dr.
Deming got frustrated and went to work for the Japanese), they decided to
rebuild all HV carbs to look and work like the 1963 unit. They plugged the
enrichment circuits and base vents, to include the tube into the
carburetor. The type of floats and venturi clusters used was apparently a
random decision. I have been able to recover all but a few back to their
original intended condition, but it requires some careful extraction of the
metal plug in the enrichment needle hole, and ensuring that the small brass
"jet" is still in there. The other plugs can usually be drilled or punched
out, and you will have to re-tap the threads for the base vent screw. I
don't recommend using them on your 140 without confirming what they are, or
you could be looking at dropped valve seats.
The Carbmeister

<<I decided I needed to rebuild the ones on my 65 110, I pulled them off and
noticed this, my 65 carbs have the rubber vent valve at the base, my 66 did
not, my 65 has power enrichment needles, my 66 did not. So what are the
carbs on my
66, am I just missing stuff or are they from another year? >>