<VV> backyard paint job results.

Paul Abel pbob63 at frontiernet.net
Mon Sep 18 05:59:18 EDT 2006

Hi All,
Last month, I asked for tips on doing my own paint job on my 65 Monza
sedan. All suggestions were greatly appreciated. I used acryllic enamel
from my local auto paint store. I waited for a nice day, and sprayed in
my driveway. ( much to my neighbor's chagrin ) Bodywork was done with
plenty of Bondo in the quarters and fenders, all the normal spots. I
primed with spray cans, rough sanded, then wet sanded with 1000 grit as
my final sanding. I sprayed it the original artesian turquois. Car came
out pretty nice, better than I expected, this being my first attempt.
The only problem was all of these little green gnat - like critters,
baby crickets perhaps, that live in the grass. First time I ever noticed
them being so numerous. The sun was starting to set as I spayed the car,
and these little buggers were everywhere. Deciding that there wasn't
much I could do, I just let them land where they may. I learned that you
can't remove them from wet enamel, so they became one with the paint
job. Not too noticable. Other than that, and my amature bodywork, it
looks great. The enamel has a great glossy shine, without having to rub,
or buff. My 100.00 vair now looks like a million bucks. Total cost of
the paint job? about 200 bucks. I would like to thank Tom Nasman, Tom
Zimmerman, Norm Coates and everyone on V.V who've helped my resurect
this sedan from the dead. Also thanks to Chuck Littman for lending me
his book on painting and bodywork. Now that it's "done" I can start
driving it and fixing the many "little things" that never end. Thanks
again to everyone. I just might attempt this again.

Paul Abel
Rochester, NY
65 Monza Sedan 110pg.