<VV> Balancing engine and higher shift point for PG

Edelstein and Payne eandp at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 18 16:23:29 EDT 2006

Folks,

       I have 2 queries:

       1.  Finally getting ready to put the motor together.  We ordered barrels , pistons and rods from Clarks, and I had Clarks install the rods on the pistons.  Talked to my favorite machine shop about having them balance the crank, rods, pistons, etc.  They said that Clarks should have sent a balance card with the pistons and rods, showing reciprocating and rotating weights.  Otherwise, they would have to press off at least one rod and were concerned about distorting the piston.  I e-mailed Clarks and they said they didn't have the weight information and that anyway it wasn't necessary to have the reciprocating assembly balanced becuse of the short stroke of these motors.  What do others think?  I've always balanced motors from other vehicles that I've rebuilt.  Is it really unnecessary with Corvairs?

     2.  The car my 17 year old son and I are doing for him is a 65 Monza coupe.  It was a 110/powerglide car.  We've bought some 140 heads that we've had throughly re-worked, the motor will be .060 over, have an Otto 10 cam, and roller rockers with Isky springs.  I've learned that the governor in the powerglide for the 110 motor has a maximum shift point of only 4060 RPM.  The governor for the 140 powerglide only goes up to 4600.  The way we'er building the motor, it would be okay to rev it to 6000 occasionally, and I would sure like a shfit point under full load of at least 5200 rpm to make full uyse of the motor's power band.  Clark's does not even have the 140 governor.  Does anyone re-build corvair powerglides and modify the governors for a higher shift point?

     Thanks,

      Travis and Doran Payne
       65 Monza Coupe