<VV> Balancing engine and higher shift point for PG

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Mon Sep 18 18:43:14 EDT 2006

In a message dated 9/18/2006 1:24:16 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
eandp at mindspring.com writes:

1.  Finally getting ready to put the motor together.  We ordered  barrels ,
pistons and rods from Clarks, and I had Clarks install the rods on  the
pistons.  Talked to my favorite machine shop about having them  balance the crank,
rods, pistons, etc.  They said that Clarks should have  sent a balance card with
the pistons and rods, showing reciprocating and  rotating weights.
Otherwise, they would have to press off at least one  rod and were concerned about
distorting the piston.  I e-mailed Clarks  and they said they didn't have the
weight information and that anyway it  wasn't necessary to have the reciprocating
assembly balanced becuse of the  short stroke of these motors.  What do others
think?  I've always  balanced motors from other vehicles that I've rebuilt.
Is it really  unnecessary with Corvairs?

Hi T and D,
Pistons and rods are static balanced before the rods are mounted on  the
pistons. You missed that opportunity. I'd say your concern should be whether  the
rods are the original ones and if you will be able to install them in  the
exact same locations. If not, I'd suggest disassembly and balancing. But be
aware that the rods could be way out, so that you will need a bunch from which  to
choose to be able to get six that balance up. The problem is that Chev only
balanced the rod  pairs. The next pair while balanced won't agree with the
first pair, generally. Most shops balance all six rods to the same weight.

But the greatest concern for balancing is the crank, flywheel and PP. Or in
your case, the torque converter.
Regards,
Bob Helt