<VV> Heaters for Vairs

Jim Burkhard burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Mon Sep 18 22:20:58 EDT 2006

Mike -

Coleman has a couple different models of those "run off little propane
bottle" catalytic heaters.  The ones that will run for 7 hours (as you
describe) have a heat outut of 3000 BTU/hr.  That may sound like a
lot, but in a car that's moving down the road at 60 mph on a cold day,
it isn't much, especially if you are trying to keep a frosty
windshield clean.  I think you will find the heat output too low,
unless you live somewhere fairly temperate.

Does anyone have heater outputs specs for for the Corvair (and/or VW)
gasoline heaters? This will give you a reference to compare against.
If not, maybe someone at least has the the fuel flow rate (in lbm/hr
or g/s, or whatever) for the heater? If so, it's a simple matter to
estimate the BTU/hr.  I'm pretty sure I have specs on varied
commercial cabin heaters in my desk at work.  Some years ago, I worked
on a project where we developed a gas fired heater to sit in the
engine exhaust stream and on cold startups RAPIDLY heat the vehicle
catalytic converter to its preferred operating temperature of 600-700
deg C.  Good fun.

If you really want to come up with something slick, there are varied
European companies that still make fuel-fired heaters for commercial
trucks and passenger vehicles.  The problem is that most of them are
intended to sit in a coolant loop, which we don't have.  And, many are
also for diesels...  There were at least a few gasoline-fired air
heaters, though.  Check out Espar, Webasto, and Volvo-Flygmotor...

Funny story:  On the way to the Lexington convention, my dad and I
stopped our Corvair someplace (Big Boy / Denny's / etc.) for lunch. On
the way out of the restaurant, walking to the car we were (gently)
accosted by a bum pushing a bicycle.  In the windup to stick his hand
out, he recounted a story about how he used to own a Corvair, but the
heater didn't work well. His solution was to remove the passenger seat
and bolt down a large residential kerosene heater in its place.

Jim "likes to burn stuff" Burkhard
CORSA
Rustchester, NY

Mike Jacobi wrote:
> Hi
>
> I went through a lot of trouble getting my 63 Vair heater to work.  And after I went through all the grief of
 >setting up new duct work, new blower and all of that, I got lots of
exaust gas inside the car...more grief tracking
 >down the source and fixing it.
>
> Now I note that Coleman makes a dandy little catalytic heater that runs for 7 hours off of a small propane bottle.
 >Claims you can run it indoors safely, (though I would always leave a
window open a little.  All for about $40.