<VV> hoe down fun!

Bill Hubbell whubbell at cox.net
Mon Sep 18 23:45:43 EDT 2006

Well, I had a blast at the Hoe Down.  I really wanted to drive the Glen
convertible up there but it wasn't running well after sitting for a year
while I had been working on Geoff's car.  At the last minute inspiration hit
me and I got a hitch installed on my (10 year old) Grand Caravan and towed
the Glen car up there!  The Caravan makes a great home when you take all the
rear seats out and install some cushion I had made several years ago.  Throw
in a few pillows and some bedding and you have a nice big bed in the rear.
The convertible graciously held all my gear leaving plenty of room in the
caravan for sleeping.  Well, it would have been plenty of room if my dog
hadn't kept getting up an walking all over me!

Anyway, I got up there Friday evening, in time for some BS-ing (hope that
doesn't offend anybody!) with Paul, Smitty , and the ladies before settling
down for the night.  Saturday am we awoke and had our breakfasts and then I
fixed the convertible (carburetors were full of varnish, etc.) in time for
autocrossing on the "mud flats".  Well, my times weren't so great, but you
should try driving with a fat dog belted in the seat next to you! (He really
wanted to ride with me!)

The Glen car won an award for "most likely to become a beater". so I guess
that means I'd better start restoring it soon.  I ended up putting the medal
on my dog and he is still wearing it.  He took a lot of abuse from the folks
up there (mostly Mike and Paul) - mainly due to his odd haircut and his
endomorphic somatotype.  Fortunately for them, he is too good natured to
take offense.

We were all thrilled to see Wendy Bristow up there with Alan and their
daughter.  It sure is nice to see her making such a quick recovery from her
spinal surgery.  Alan seemed a little subdued, though.  I imagine it has
taken a lot out of him to see her go through an ordeal like that.

Helen Smith made her famous Apple Dumplings and we who are her "special
friends" got to sample them.  Don't tell Paul - he thinks she makes them
just for him!

The bonfire was once again a sight to behold, with flames reaching 30 feet
or more into the sky.  Yes, Smitty impressed us all with his lighting
ceremony.  I felt the concussion blast 50 feet away!  We never were able to
roast marshmallows, though - the fire was too hot!

Of course, the best part of the whole weekend was just catching up with
friends, relaxing and having good fun.

Hope to see you there next year!

Bill Hubbell