<VV> Kelsey Hayes Wire Wheels

Fitchsprint fitchsprint at comcast.net
Tue Sep 19 03:15:05 EDT 2006

It appears that Approx 400 sets were made, but I can't find the source of this figure in my files.
They started out as RPO 697 in 1962 at a cost of $269. They changed to RPO P45 in 1963 and ended their run in 1964 at $403.50.
Pretty expensive in those days. Not really that rare since there always seems to be a set for sale somewhere at any given time. Three sets have sold on eBay in the last two months. The latest was four days ago (see item 290028758946). They are just expensive, and I'm sure you can secure a decent set if you are willing to spend 2-3K. A set in poor condition will cost that much just to restore, so you're better off paying more for a good set. Do to the high initial cost of these wheels, I doubt many went to the crusher with old cars and most are still kicking around some where. I usually see a car or two at every show that have them. I bought a set for $50 when I was a teenager and traded them for a set of 140 heads. Boy was that a dumb deal for me!! I was quoted $50 a wheel to respoke them at dayton wheel and I figure it was too much at the time since I only paid that much for the whole set, and I thought running tubes was a pain in the rear.  Oh Well! You live and learn from your mistakes. I would'nt mind picking up a set, but I can't bring myself to spend that much. It seems the most economical way to get a set is buy a car that already has them. I have seen two earlies with the KH wheels go for less than 2k on ebay. The cars were only in fair condition, but who cares, get the rims and sell the rest.

Dave