<VV> Broken clutch cable problem

Marc Sheridan sheridanma at adelphia.net
Wed Sep 20 17:36:11 EDT 2006

I received this request off line but thought I should share the answer with
the group, for all the newbies out there.

The clutch cable repair kit I was referring to, and have never used, is the
one described in the Corvair Technical Guide, aka: Tech Guide.

More often than not, the clutch cable breaks right at the ball where it
attaches to the pedal assembly. So all you need when it breaks there is a
way to reattach the cable to the pedal assembly. Kenneth Black wrote in the
Tech Guide that all you need to accomplish this is a small eyebolt with two
nuts, so you can adjust and lock down, and a cable clamp. You put the
eyebolt in the pedal assembly, loop the cable through the "eye" and clamp it
to itself with the cable clamp, make your adjustments with the nuts on the
eyebolt and drive on!

Like I said, I've never used this remedy, but it sure looks like it would
work and may even be an improvement over the ball that tends to bend the
cable over and over. Ken wrote in the Tech Guide that he used this
"temporary"  repair for five years in his Corsa.

It is listed in the Tech Guide as being a tip for late model Corvairs, so I
don't know if it translates to early models or not.

Marc Sheridan

Hi Marc,

What is a cable repair kit and where does one obtain one?

Dick,

My '66 Monza with a 110/4 broke a clutch cable as I was leaving Nelson
Ledges this summer. I drove it 150 miles home using the starter and the
ignition is a Pertronix II. That was a stressful trip! Now I am prepared
and
have a cable repair kit in my in car tool box, which will guarantee no
further problems with the clutch cable :o).

Marc Sheridan

From: "richard shank" <indyvair at yahoo.com>