<VV> Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels: Why tubes?

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Fri Sep 22 13:42:43 EDT 2006

The reason for the inner tube is because the spokes, by design, have to
go through the rim. This creates multiple air leaks, as there are no
seals on the spokes. The easiest solution is to just use a tube.

The wires were designed to be stored anywhere a conventional spare could
be stored, except that because of the wheel design being radically
different than the standard steel wheel, it needed a hold-down bracket
designed just for it. Thus, it was stored in the engine compartment on
non-a/c cars or wagons, and in the trunk on those exceptions.

-Mrk