<VV> 1963 Spyder Vert.

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sat Sep 23 20:20:47 EDT 2006

The chances of factory metallic brakes are slim. 99% chance of needing a
standard bore. You could pull a brake drum and see if there are metallic
brake shoes installed. But, after these many years, shoes get changed.
The bore size stamped on the wheel cylinders will tell if they are
standard or metallic originally. Maybe some of the data plate
knowledgeable people will chime in if there is a symbol on the data
plate for metallic. But this is allot of trouble, you can measure the
bore of the master cylinder easily once it is off the car. No need to
disassemble, just remove the rubber boot and measure! You can tell the
difference in 7/8" and 1" with a tape measure, no inside micrometers needed.

Take a sample of the brake fluid from the master cylinder and place it
on some painted surface. The more shiny and expensive to repaint the
better <ggggg>  (warning, paint can be irrepribly harned doing this
test). If the paint wrinkles up or can be wiped off, it is standard
glycol based fluid. If the paint remains in good shape it is probably
silicone based fluid. Another test only those with electronics
background will understand, take an Xcelite brand screwdriver and place
the handle in the brake fluid. If the handle gets soft or funny feeling,
it is regular glycol based fluid.

I would recomend a full brake system rebuild as I live on the east coat
and have rusty steel brake lines as standard equipment on all the cars I
work on. But, if it passes the hard harder hardest test (and if you do
not know this, ask, it is a saftey test that SHOULD be done), then just
adding silicone brake fluid to the master cylinder and bleed the system
(know also as flushing) until the fluid out of all four wheel cylinders
runs clear. Trap the fluid in a clear jar or can using a piece of vacuum
tubing so you can really see the color. If you are flushing the system
then bench bleeding the master cylinder can be done, but is not
necessary.  You may want to make sure all four bleeder screws are
moveable before planing to flush the system. If they are stuck, then you
might get away with bench bleeding the master and installing it, or it
is time for a system rebuild.

Cowl vent (screen) <panel> whatever, remove the screws showing along the
front edge with the trunk open. Remove the wiper arms. pull the panel
forward to disengage the tabs at the rear. Wiggle, etc, the panel until
it clears the wiper posts, trunk lid, and antenna. It is a tight fit it
seems on some cars. If you live under trees and it is not a concours
car, you can glue some nylon screen under the vents to keep leaves out.
Epoxy works well. Taping the edges of the panel and trunk lid may help
if there appears to be an interferrence fit when removing/installing
this panel. NOT duct tape, some automotive type masking tape or the
easily release type rated for 7 or 14 days of contact (blue, purple, etc).

Frank DuVal