<VV> Great Plain Corvair Roundup report

AeroNed at aol.com AeroNed at aol.com
Sun Sep 24 19:33:05 EDT 2006

We returned from the Great Plains Corvair Roundup in Tulsa this afternoon.
What a great weekend! The host club, Green Country Corvairs, did a fantastic
job  running the show. It's always great to see so many great Corvair  friends.
There were folks from North Texas, Houston, Alamo, Arkansas, and  Rocky
Mountain Corvair clubs in addition to the four clubs involved in the  Roundup,
Tulsa, Wichita, Kansas City and Oklahoma City. This was the second year  for this
event and it is really picking up interest in this area.

The hotel was nearly perfect and the two very large parking lots were
perfect. There was a "play by play" announcer as well as a DJ playing period
correct tunes during the show.

Things got started on Friday night with the valve cover race. There were
just over a dozen cars entered, but every person in the hotel was watching the
competition. Many of the cars were extremely unique in their design, including
a  Pirate ship "manned" by ducks. My eight year old daughter, Shannon, and
Kirk  Eck's son, Jake, were the most visibly excited about the event. Shannon
finished in second and Jake finished in third.

Saturday morning was an early one, with many people out in the parking lot
before dawn preparing their cars for the big show. The concours had 23 cars,
including 3 wagons and 3 or 4 FCs. Don Wagner formed two judging teams and  the
judging was very smooth. What else would you expect from an event run by
Don? My sedan did as well as I could have expected with an unprepared underside.
Unfortunately though it missed the medals by 0.04.

Mike Dawson from KC was the featured presenter of the tech sessions. I was
not able to attend, but I heard the "Doctor" Mike did a great job.

Saturday afternoon was the funkana. I was co-chair with Gary Baxter and we
were setting up the course with the help of Travis Bolton of KC during the tech
 sessions. The course started out with a parking lot shuffle, pulling into
one  spot forward and then backing into another spot, then repeat. This was
followed  with a fan belt toss. Then the "Mater salom," a salom accomplished in
reverse.  The course ended with a "toll booth" where competitors attempted to
toss a  fender washer into a bucket. Participants had lots of fun based on the
amount of  laughter coming from the sidelines as well as the vehicles on the
course.

The festivities wrapped up with a banquet. Roger Scott, Marvin Luke  and the
rest of the  Green Country Corvair Club should be very proud of the  event
they hosted. Next year we'll be in Kansas City. Make your plans now  because this
is a great Corvair event in the heart of the country.

Ned  Madsen
MCCA President - Wichita, KS
1966 Corsa 140/4 speed - Autocross Hot  Rod
1965 500 Sedan 95/PG - Daily  Driver
http://members.cox.net/66corvair/
www.KansasCorvairs.org