<VV> Larry's Corvair Parts Needs Help !

Larry Shapiro lashap at cox.net
Sun Sep 24 19:36:17 EDT 2006

 Ned,
since you and others asked.

3 guys,
Marty Katz, Bob Hoffman,and Joe Benites all tailored their cars within a few
blocks of the show site the night before.
They put their cars in a garage overnight,and then drove their cars to the
show.
They saved about 50 miles of driving which when you are splitting hairs to
pick a winner,can be alot of points.

I tailored my car to the show,but instead of cheating,I checked "tailored
car" on the judging sheet.
This was a 2 point penalty for me to not drive my car to the show.

The rumor of this happening got to me pretty quick.
When I approached my ex partner Marty,and asked him about it,he admitted
what they had done.
I went to the concours people on duty at the time,and told them the facts.
They talked it over,and then did nothing about it ,as they were afraid to
act.
I guess the 3 guys when asked, lied to the concours people.

Anyway..I did win best of show,which was the correct result.

After that day,I lost most of my interest in showing cars.

I hate competing against cheaters and bad sports..

Bob Hoffman was such a bad sport,I heard him complaining the day after that
his car was best,and the judges sucked etc.

Something Hoffman doesn't know,is that in our local show,I beat him 5-6
times in a row,and then changed the score sheet to show he won.
That shows how I could care less about another trophy,and I and the other
judges got a good laugh each time Bob accepted his 1st place trophy,when he
really didn't win.

After 32 years in the corvair business,I would love to write a book about
all the cheaters,ex employees that ripped me off,some which started their
own business with my parts,and other things that have happened.

I could go on,but I have to finish cleaning out my garage,so both of my cars
will fit in.

Back to you Ned,

Larry